Commercial Litigation and Business Law Claims, Senior Associate
James’ practice focuses on finding solutions for businesses involved in commercial disputes. He has extensive experience dealing with complex commercial litigation, commercial dispute resolution, financial services disputes and shareholder litigation.
James also represents clients who have suffered losses as a result of poor professional advice. This can include professional negligence claims against financial advisors, stockbrokers and other professional advisors, including where people have lost their retirement or self-managed superannuation funds as a result of poor advice.
James regularly presents on professional obligations and duties at industry seminars and conferences and is seen in the media providing his expert opinion on relevant legal issues.
- Professional negligence
- Financial services litigation
- Disputes regarding financial advisors, stockbrokers and other professional advisors
- Trade and consumer law disputes
- Shareholder disputes
- Commercial litigation
Areas of Practice
Examples of my areas of practice include:
- Acting in claims against banks and financial advisors relating to inappropriate product and strategy advice, inappropriate lending, disputes relating to inappropriate conduct, mistakes in trading and rogue trading.
- Advising investors on their options following the collapse of managed investment schemes or financial product failures.
- Acting in negligence claims against professionals relating to inappropriate advice.
- Acting for directors and shareholders in shareholder oppression claims and breach of directors’ duties proceedings.
- Acting in disputes regarding defamation and the protection of professional reputation.
- Acting in matters relating to employee’s uses of confidential information and intellectual property post-termination.
- Acting in misrepresentation and misleading and deceptive conduct claims against developers on behalf of investors and owners corporations.
- Acting in disputes relating to transfer/sale and valuation of businesses.
- Acting for retailers defending competition proceedings bought by the Regulator.
- Advising directors on their obligations and duties.
- Since 2015, Slater and Gordon (senior associate)
- 2012 – 2015 Slater and Gordon (associate)
- 2008 – 2011 Slater and Gordon (lawyer)
- 2008 Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC)
- 2005 – 2007 Federal Magistrates Court of Australia (judge’s associate)
Professional Qualifications and Admissions
- 2007 Admitted Supreme Court of Victoria
- 2007 Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice, College of Law
- 2005 Bachelor of Laws, University of Melbourne
- 2005 Bachelor of Arts, University of Melbourne
Memberships and Associations
- Law Institute of Victoria
- Irish Australian Chamber of Commerce (IACC)