Please select your location to view information that is specific to you.
Medical Law, National Practice Group Leader
Bill Madden is our medical law national practice group leader, with over 30 years’ experience as a lawyer and more than 20 years working on medical negligence compensation claims. His experience includes claims for serious brain injury, brain haemorrhage, stroke and delayed cancer diagnosis.
Bill has a particular interest in claims regarding birth trauma (cerebral palsy), wrongful birth claims and claims based on genetic testing, such as for hereditary cancers and antenatal diagnosis.
In addition to his work with Slater and Gordon, Bill teaches medical law at universities and is a co-author of three textbooks in the medical law and disability compensation area. He writes about medical law issues on his blog and on twitter.
In 2015 Bill became a fellow of the Australian Academy of Law.
Bill is a member of the firm’s Pro Bono and Legal Profession Committee.
“The most meaningful part of my work is helping people understand and work their way through the legal system.” - Bill Madden
- Accredited Specialist personal injury law
- Medical law focusing on medical and clinical negligence
- Intentional torts
- Mcllwraith and Madden, "Health Care & the Law", 6th edition, Thomson Reuters 2014
- Madden and McIlwraith, "Australian Medical Liability", 2nd edition, LexisNexis Butterworths 2013
- Madden, McIlwraith and Brell, "The National Disability Insurance Scheme Handbook", Lexis Nexis 2013
- Iedema & Ors (eds), “Communicating quality and safety in health care”, Cambridge University Press 2015 (contributor).
- Senior Fellow 2014, University of Melbourne, Melbourne Law Masters
- Adjunct Professor, Queensland University of Technology, Australian Centre for Health Law Research, School of Law
- Adjunct Fellow, Western Sydney University, School of Law
- Editorial Board, Australian Health Law Bulletin (Lexis Nexis)
- Editorial Board, Australian Civil Liability Law (Lexis Nexis)
- Member, Medico-Legal Liaison Committee, NSW Law Society
- Member, Specialist Accreditation Advisory Committee, NSW Law Society
Professional Qualifications and Admissions
- 1993 Accredited Specialist NSW
- 1989 Public Notary, NSW
- 1981 Admitted, Supreme Court of NSW
- 1980 Bachelor of Arts, Macquarie University
- 1980 Bachelor of Law (Honours), Macquarie University