Superannuation Insurance Litigation
Annemarie is highly regarded in the areas of insurance and dispute resolution and is often called upon to provide commentary on various issues. Her expertise has led her to various speaking opportunities at international and local events.
She’s acted for both individuals and several of Australia’s major insurers in most areas of insurance claims advice and litigation, life insurance disputes, complex fraudulent non-disclosure cases, indemnity disputes, motor vehicle property damage matters, home insurance, arson and fire claims, product liability, public liability and travel insurance disputes.
In the life insurance sector, Annemarie specialises in disability claims involving total and permanent disablement, income protection, trauma and terminal illness claims.
Annemarie migrated to Australia from the south of Italy with her parents in the early 1960s, settling in the western suburbs of Melbourne. Like many migrant families, Annemarie’s parents worked diligently in labour intensive occupations, to provide opportunities for their family.
Today, Annemarie continues to take great pride in her Italian heritage through her strong family ties and association with everything Italian, including regular attendance at Italian Chamber of Commerce and Industry functions, language classes, her interest in the newly formed Sicilian Association of Australia and in everything “Italianicious”.
Annemarie also has many years of experience in commercial litigation acting for individuals and small to medium sized businesses in contractual disputes, negligence cases and insolvency.
In her work, Annemarie sees herself as a relentless and passionate advocate for her clients.
- Insurance advice and disputes
- Contractual disputes
- Negligence claims
- Since May 2010 Slater and Gordon (Principal Lawyer)
- 2009-2010 Downer EDI Works (Insurance Specialist)
- 2003-2009 Mason Black Lawyers (Legal Services Manager)
- 1996-2003 Mendelsons Lawyers (Lawyer)
- 1992 Gambera and Associates (Principal)
- 1989-1990 Cornwall Stodart (Articled Clerk / Junior Lawyer)
Professional qualifications and admissions
- 1990 Admitted Supreme Court of Victoria
- 1990 Admitted High Court of Australia
- 1988 Bachelor of Laws, Monash University
- 1981 Graduate Diploma in Education, Mercy College, Melbourne
- 1979 Bachelor of Economics, Monash University
Memberships and associations
- Law Institute of Victoria
- Australian Insurance Law Association
- The Animal Law Institute
- Australian Italian Lawyers Association
- Northern Suburban Law Association
- What happens to super when I die
- It doesn’t pay to be underinsured
- TPD – An issue far too important to be neglected
- Aussies losing more than just money in lost super grab
- Can I claim and keep my TPD benefit if I am bankrupt?
- Same sex couples and superannuation benefits
- Terminally Ill urged to know their rights
- Naked Coverage or Surprise You’re Not Covered: Typical exclusions in TPD policies
Media and Publications
- Commentary in various articles and news publications including The Age, Herald Sun, news.com.au and Law Institute Journal.
- Appearance on The PI Law Show to discuss enquiry into CommInsure: 17 July 2016
- Appearance on The PI Law Show to discuss the complexities of multiple sclerosis and TPd claims: 16 May 2017 (to be aired 31 May 2017)
- Appearance on ReteItalia (radio) to discuss disability insurance generally: 13 October 2015
- Southern Lawyers Association 2016 and 2017 International Conference
- Prime Health: The Doctor’s Role in disability claims: April 2017
- Financial and Consumer Rights Council October 2016
- Northern Suburbs Law Association 2015 International Conference
- TPD Benefit Information for Social Workers
- Presentation topics:
- TPD: Tips & Traps
- Hot topics in insurance-focus on out dated medical definitions in insurance policies
- Ethic Hypothetical: A Panel Discussion
- “OMG tell me everything” The duty of disclosure in insurance
- Life and Disability Insurance: How to Stay out of Trouble
- General Super/Insurance Claims
- 2014: Chair Award Finalist in the categories of Do it Right and Work Well with Others: Colleagues
- 2016: Women in Law Awards in Mentor of the Year category
- Mentor for Victorian Women Lawyers: 2013
- RSPCA Cupcake day: 5 September 2014
- The Animal Law Institute: 2016 to present
- Submissions to Senate Economics Reference Committee Inquiry: Scrutiny of Financial Advice – Life Insurance Industry