Please select your location to view information that is specific to you.
Our Union Experience
Slater and Gordon is proud to have been Australia's leading trade union and labour movement law firm since 1935. From humble beginnings in the offices of the Railways Union at Unity Hall in Bourke Street, Melbourne, Slater and Gordon has worked with trade unions to defend union members and their families from attacks on the rights of workers and the erosion of their entitlements.
Our history is intertwined with the Australian labour movement and we share their milestones as achievements of our own, including:
- The 1930s free speech battles
- Acting for community picketers during the 1998 maritime dispute
- Firefighters' struggles for union rights in the 1940s and 1950s
- Construction workers' successful campaign for the 36-hour week in 2000
- Challenging the 1969 jailing of tramways union leader Clarrie O'Shea
- Clothing outworkers fighting for decent wages and conditions in the 1990s