×

We’ve noticed that you’re using an unsupported browser,
which may result in pages displaying incorrectly.

For a better viewing experience, we recommend upgrading to the latest browser version of:

Skip to main content
Are you in QLD?

Please select your location to view information that is specific to you.

Menu
Call Call 1800 555 777
1800 555 777
or let us call you

Let Us Call You

Close

Thermomix warning after Perth mum badly burned

Contact us
Published on

A faulty Thermomix has caused second degree burns to the chest, stomach and arms of a Perth mother after it burst open while she was preparing the family dinner.

Danika Jones was cooking a pasta sauce in her Thermomix when the lid flew open and burning hot liquid splattered all over her upper body. The seal had recently been replaced by Thermomix after a product recall.

The mother-of-two is now urging Thermomix to introduce a full recall of the TM31 model, and is warning other users of the popular kitchen appliance to be aware of the potential dangers.

“I had popped the pasta sauce ingredients in the Thermomix using the same recipe I’ve used every week since I bought the machine more than two years ago,” Ms Jones said.

“Towards the end of the process it was pureeing the sauce when it started making a funny noise and vibrating.

“I walked over to turn it off and as I did that, it just exploded – the lid blew off and hot liquid went everywhere, all over me. The pain was intense.”

Ms Jones was rushed by ambulance to the hospital burns unit for extensive treatment, before being given an electromagnetic device to wear for 20 hours each day as the burns healed.

“This was an awful ordeal which I wouldn’t wish upon anyone else,” she said.

“So many people use a Thermomix and they need to know how unpredictable they can be and how dangerous they can become when they malfunction.”

Slater and Gordon lawyer Nakkie Le Roux said the firm was investigating a claim on behalf of Ms Jones.

“Danika has suffered serious injuries despite following the manufacturer’s instructions while using her Thermomix,” Ms Le Roux said.

“Preparing meals in a Thermomix has become an everyday activity in many kitchens all over Australia and it is very concerning that such an incident has occurred.

“We commend Danika for taking a stand and warning others about the potential dangers.”