Law firm Slater and Gordon has backed calls by consumer advocacy group Choice for the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission to investigate the safety of the Thermomix, after 87 cases were revealed in a mass incident report - including 45 with burns
Senior public liability lawyer Barrie Woollacott said Slater and Gordon was currently investigating the legal rights of a number of Thermomix users after a badly burned Perth mother bravely came forward with her story recently.
“Preparing meals in a Thermomix has become an everyday activity in kitchens all over Australia and it is very concerning that such serious incidents have occurred,” he said.
“I am shocked and saddened to see Choice’s mass incident report has identified 45 separate cases where Thermomix consumers have been burned, and 18 required several weeks of medical treatment.
“Our lawyers have spoken to many Thermomix users in recent weeks who have been burned by the appliance, and some of their injuries are horrific.
“News reports have also indicated that once users report the incident to Thermomix, the appliance is taken by the company for examination but never seen again.
“We urge anyone who has been injured by this popular kitchen appliance to keep the machine as evidence and contact the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission.
“We also encourage injured consumers to seek legal advice before signing any confidentiality agreement which may or may not be enforceable.”
Mr Woollacott said when a kitchen product itself causes an injury, the manufacturer or seller may be held liable.
“We will look carefully to see if Thermomix had any liability to people injured while using these machines because of product defects,” he said.