Please select your location to view information that is specific to you.
Law firm Slater and Gordon is appealing for witnesses who worked at a printing factory in Sunnybank during the 1970s, as part of an investigation into an asbestos compensation claim.
Slater and Gordon, asbestos lawyer, Carl Hughes, said the law firm was investigating a claim on behalf of 62-year-old Kenneth Hain who was diagnosed with mesothelioma in February this year.
Mr Hughes said the law firm believed Mr Hain had been exposed to asbestos while working at Leigh Mardon Printing on Mains Road, Sunnybank. The printing factory produced material for commercial products such as soap, biscuit and tea boxes.
“Mr Hain started with Leigh Mardon Printing in 1969 and he mainly worked in the dispatch and receiving area,” Mr Hughes said.
“Mr Hain recalls an extension being added to the factory in or around 1976 and he believed those renovations saw him exposed to a large amount of asbestos dust. The factory roof is believed to have been made of asbestos and my client recalls that while the renovations were occurring, the air in the factory was very dusty.”
“Asbestos is very dangerous when it’s disturbed, and people should only be in contact with it when they are wearing fully protective clothing and face masks,” he said.
Mr Hughes said the renovations occurred next door to where Mr Hain worked.
Mr Hughes said Mr Hain worked at Leigh Mardon Printing until 1980 when it was sold to another company. He said his client spent the majority of his time working in the warehouse area.
“We are hoping to hear from anyone who may have worked alongside Mr Hain, anyone who was a builder at the factory when the renovations were undertaken or anyone who was a contractor and recalls being at the factory during that period. We need to gather as much information as possible about the workplace and the renovations that were undertaken during the mid 1970s.”
Mr Hain, who now lives in Calamvale, said he went to a doctor in January this year after noticing an increasing shortness of breath and chest pains.
Mr Hain was later admitted to the Greenslopes Hospital before being diagnosed with mesothelioma.
“It has been tough for me and my wife,” Mr Hain said.
“My health has deteriorated and I have had to undergo chemotherapy.”
“Having this matter resolve will be of great assistance,” he said.
Mr Hughes said anyone with information could contact that Slater and Gordon Lawyers Brisbane office on 07 3331 9100.