We’ve noticed that you’re using an unsupported browser,
which may result in pages displaying incorrectly.

For a better viewing experience, we recommend upgrading to the latest browser version of:

Skip to main content
You're viewing content for QLD. Change QLD
Call No Win. No Fee.* Call 1800 555 777
1800 555 777
You're viewing content for QLD. Change QLD

Let Us Call You


Injured ANZAC parade victim reaches TAC settlement

Contact us

Media Release

Published on

Royal Ceylon Navy veteran Maurice Gibson has shown a great deal of determination to recover from injuries sustained at last year’s ANZAC Day parade in Melbourne, and in a true show of courage, he plans to return this year.

Mr Gibson was one of a number of marchers from the Ceylon Ex-Serviceman’s Association who were struck down by a vehicle in the ANZAC Day parade in Melbourne last year. Slater and Gordon recently settled Mr Gibson’s TAC compensation claim with the Transport Accident Commission (TAC). The settlement was one of three reached with the TAC following the incident in 2010.

Mr Gibson said he was focused on the 2011 parade and moving on from the events of one year ago.

“The accident last year was just one of those unfortunate things that happen in life from time to time. My wife and I are relieved to be through the legal side of it so I can concentrate on my rehabilitation and enjoying my life again,” Mr Gibson said.

The injuries Mr Gibson incurred as a result of the accident and subsequent treatment included a blood clot, severe cuts, bruising and infection - the culmination of these injuries requiring nearly two months of hospital and out-patient care.

Slater and Gordon, motor vehicle accident lawyer Allan Macrae said Maurice’s personal efforts since the accident had been “incredible to watch”.

“It takes a remarkable character to beat this sort of challenge. Maurice has been an inspiration to everybody in our office,” Mr Macrae said.

“He has never let this horrendous accident get the better of him. His optimism and willpower should be a lesson to us all.

“Maurice has worked very hard over the past twelve months to move on. He has had to endure a difficult rehabilitation and medical complications.

“Now that Maurice’s compensation claim has been settled, I am hopeful this parade, one year later, will create a sense of closure for everyone involved,” Mr Macrae said.

Mr Macrae acknowledged the role of the TAC in settling Mr Maurice’s matter in a relatively short timeframe.