We’ve noticed that you’re using an unsupported browser,
which may result in pages displaying incorrectly.

For a better viewing experience, we recommend upgrading to the latest browser version of:

Skip to main content
You're viewing content for QLD. Change QLD
Call No Win. No Fee.* Call 1800 555 777
1800 555 777
You're viewing content for QLD. Change QLD

Let Us Call You


Five important tips for making flood damage insurance claims

Contact us

Media Release

Published on
  1. If you have suffered any damage at all during the floods and if you have an insurance policy then make a claim. Do not assume that you are not covered and do not be guided by a friend or neighbour who says you are not. All policies are different and even two policies from the same company can be very different, particularly the definitions, the wording and the exemptions. 
  2. Start now to prepare to make a claim. Make a detailed list of damaged goods and furnishings including models, serial numbers and age - take photos of the goods - this will help make sure your get back exactly what you have lost. 
  3. Notify your insurance company as soon as possible that you will be making a claim; make sure you have the details of your policy including policy number. If you don’t know these details then your insurer should be able to assist with this basic information. 

    When filling in forms and providing details give the best information you can but do not guess or make assumptions. This could backfire down the track when the full extent of you losses is better understood. If the insurer asks for documents that have been destroyed or it does not accept you cannot provide these documents get legal advice quickly.

    Do not sign any insurance documents until you a confident you fully understand them;
  4. Keep any media coverage or other external and independent reporting or commentary on how the damage to your suburb or region occurred; often an internet search will help find this sort of material. Also contact your council to see if it has any information or reports that can be used to support your claim, the more detail local information you have the better.
  5. In the case of a dispute with you insurer you can contact the insurance watchdog, the Financial Ombudsman Service. The FOS is an independent body that offers a free service to consumers who have disputes with their general insurance providers. The Ombudsman can be contacted on 1800 337 444 or gidisaster@fos.org.au.

    You can also seek legal advice from The Queensland Law Society or Legal Aid Queensland.  There are links to both these website and other valuable information on the Queensland Government’s’ Justice web site www.justice.qld.gov.au

Slater and Gordon has also agreed to be a part of the joint response being coordinated by the Attorney-General and Queensland Law Society (QLS) to provide free legal information to Queensland flood victims. This work will be performed, as directed by the Attorney-General and QLS.