You web browser may not be properly supported. To use this site and all its features we recommend using the latest versions of Chrome, Safari or Firefox

Why Slater and Gordon?

We know what we're doing. We've been helping people maximise their compensation claims for over 80 years. So you'll have the experience and expertise you need on your side.

Start Your Claim Check
  • We'll take the stress out of your claim

    We'll tell you what the insurers won't and remove the mystery from the legal process.

    Get in touch
  • Free Initial Appointment**

    It shouldn't be costly to know what you're entitled to. That’s why we offer a Free Initial Appointment, so you know where you stand.

    Find out more
  • Expertise and Empathy

    Our experienced lawyers will take the time to get to know you and understand your case, to help you get the best result.

Frequently Asked Questions

Every worker in New South Wales can make a claim through icare if they have suffered an injury or illness because of work.

To check if you may have a claim, use our free online claim check for a free assessment.

If you've been injured or become ill at work, you may be entitled to the following benefits under the Workers Compensation Scheme:

  • Weekly payments to cover your loss of income
  • Missed superannuation entitlements in some circumstances
  • Your medical and associated expenses
  • Rehabilitation services
  • A lump sum payment in some circumstances, provided a degree of permanent impairment can be proved

There are several steps involved in making a claim. To begin with you should speak with your doctor about your situation and report your injury or illness to your employer. Your Workers Compensation claim should then be lodged as soon as possible after your injury or illness, although you have 6 months from the date of accident or injury to do so.

If it has been more than 6 months since you became aware of your injury or illness, you should speak with one of our experienced Workers Compensation lawyers as soon as you can.

Making a Workers' Compensation claim can be a complex process, but we've boiled down the basics of what you need to do here:

  1. Report your injury to your employer and preferably have it recorded in writing
  2. See your doctor for treatment of your injury or illness and get a certificate of capacity
  3. Complete a Workers Compensation claim form and lodge it together with the certificate of capacity with your employer
  4. Once your employer’s insurer has been notified they will contact you to discuss your claim
  5. Get in touch with one of our workers compensation lawyers so we can assess your claim and give you the information you need to decide on the best course of action.

It is your employer's responsibility to provide a safe working environment so you can do your job without fear. Unfortunately, this is not always the case and we've seen a lot of people come in with injuries and illnesses they've suffered at work.

Some common examples of workplace injuries include:

  • Injuries from a fall
  • Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI)
  • Mental illness
  • Hearing loss
  • Lifting injuries
  • Accidents at construction sites
  • Injuries from malfunctioning machines.

The Workers Compensation Insurance Scheme is an insurance policy that is compulsory for most NSW employers. And like most insurance policies, workers compensation insurance is administered by insurance companies whose interests don't necessarily align with yours. But ours do.

We can help you with:

  • Maximising your entitlements - including your potential common law entitlements and your statutory entitlements
  • Disputes with the insurance companies
  • The review and appeals process for your claim.

When you have us working on your case, you will have one of the largest and most experienced Workers Compensation law firms in Australia on your side. So when you're up against a major insurer, it won't be like David vs. Goliath, it'll be Goliath vs. Goliath. We've been working on cases like yours for decades, so you can be confident we know exactly how to help you maximise your compensation.

We are one of the largest and most experienced Workers Compensation firms in Australia, with a decades long track record of working on cases like yours. So you can rest easy knowing that we're here to look after you.

If you've been injured or become ill at work, here are some of the things we can help with:

  • Submit a Workers' Compensation claim to help you get the best outcome you can
  • Make an appeal if your Workers' Compensation claim has been rejected
  • Assist you if you're not being paid correctly
  • Represent you if your employer's insurer won't pay for treatment or is taking too long to respond
  • Lodge an appeal if your payments have been cut off
  • Give you a better understanding of where you stand

Get in touch now to see how we can help

Riverside Foreground

Want to check if you have a claim?

Use our free online claim check to see where you stand in minutes.

Simply answer a few questions and let us help you work it out.

Start online