You web browser may not be properly supported. To use this site and all its features we recommend using the latest versions of Chrome, Safari or Firefox

Why Slater and Gordon?

We know what we're doing. We've been helping people maximise their compensation claims for over 80 years. So you'll have the experience and expertise you need on your side.

Start Your Claim Check
  • No Win - No Fee*

    With No Win - No Fee, if your claim is unsuccessful you may not need to pay any legal fees.

    Find out more
  • We'll take the stress out of your claim

    We'll tell you what the insurers won't and remove the mystery from the legal process.

    Get in touch now

Frequently Asked Questions

Every worker in Victoria can make a WorkCover claim if they have suffered a workplace injury, or an injury or illness because of work.

To check if you may have a claim, use our free online claim check for a free assessment.

If you've been injured or become ill at work, you may be entitled to the following benefits under the Workers Compensation Scheme:

  • Weekly payments to cover your loss of income
  • Missed superannuation entitlements
  • Your medical and associated expenses
  • Rehabilitation services
  • Damages for pain and suffering, as well as economic loss, because of a serious injury in some circumstances
  • A lump sum payment in some circumstances.

There are several steps involved in making a claim. To begin with you should speak with your doctor about your situation and report your injury or illness to your employer. Any injury or illness you suffered due to work needs to be reported to your employer within 30 days of you becoming aware of your injury or illness. Your Workers Compensation claim should also be lodged as soon as possible after your injury or illness, ideally within 30 days of becoming aware of it.

If it has been more than 30 days since you became aware of your injury or illness, you should speak with one of our experienced Workers Compensation lawyers as soon as you can.

Making a WorkCover claim can be a complex process, but we've boiled down the basics of what you need to do here:

  1. See your doctor for treatment of your injury or illness
  2. Report your injury or illness to your employer in writing within 30 days
  3. Complete your claim form and lodge it with your employer
  4. The WorkCover claims agent then has 28 days to let you know whether your claim has been accepted.

Learn more about making a WorkCover claim

It is your employer's responsibility to provide a safe working environment so you can do your job without fear. Unfortunately, this is not always the case and we've seen a lot of people come in with injuries and illnesses they've suffered at work.

Some common examples of workplace injuries include:

  • Injuries from a fall
  • Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI)
  • Mental illness
  • Hearing loss
  • Lifting injuries
  • Accidents at construction sites
  • Injuries from malfunctioning machines.

WorkCover is an insurance policy that is compulsory for most Victorian employers. And like most insurance policies, workers compensation insurance is administered by insurance companies whose interests don't necessarily align with yours. But ours do.

We can help you with:

  • Maximising your entitlements - including your potential common law entitlements and your statutory entitlements
  • Disputes with the insurance companies
  • The review and appeals process for your claim.

When you have us working on your case, you will have one of the largest and most experienced Workers Compensation law firms in Australia on your side. So when you're up against a major insurer, it won't be like David vs. Goliath, it'll be Goliath vs. Goliath. We've been working on cases like yours for decades, so you can be confident we know exactly how to help you maximise your compensation.

We are one of the largest and most experienced Workers Compensation firms in Australia, with a decades long track record of working on cases like yours. So you can rest easy knowing that we're here to look after you.

If you've been injured or become ill at work, here are some of the things we can help with:

  • Submit a WorkCover claim to help you get the best outcome you can
  • Make an appeal if your WorkCover claim has been rejected
  • Assist you if you're not being paid correctly
  • Represent you if your employer's insurer won't pay for treatment or is taking too long to respond
  • Lodge an appeal if your payments have been cut off
  • Give you a better understanding of where you stand

Get in touch now to see how we can help

Riverside Foreground

Want to check if you have a claim?

Use our free online claim check to see where you stand in minutes.

Simply answer a few questions and let us help you work it out.

Start online