We’ve noticed that you’re using an unsupported browser,
which may result in pages displaying incorrectly.

For a better viewing experience, we recommend upgrading to the latest browser version of:

Skip to main content
Are you in QLD?

Please select your location to view information that is specific to you.

Call Call 1800 555 777
1800 555 777
or let us call you

Let Us Call You


What is Child Support?

Child support is the payment of money by one parent to another parent or carer, or for the benefit of a child.

Once you and your ex have split, you probably need to come to some reasonably quick decisions about arrangements for funding your children’s expenses (schooling, medical, day-to-day living expenses and so on).

Either parent can apply for a child support assessment. However, it is worth doing the calculations first. You may expect to receive money, yet wind up actually owing money.

You can make a private agreement to replace the Child Support Agency amount, or to have it paid by providing specific support such as school fees or medical expenses, rather than cash

The Child support system is complex and you should contact the Child Support Agency to get the specific information you require to understand your entitlements or liabilities.

Child support is assessed by the Child Support Agency by applying a formula set down by law. An estimator of child support payments is available on the Child Support Agency website.

To determine the actual child support amounts to be paid, the agency applies a formula that takes into consideration financial circumstances and the time children spend with each parent. The formula is quite detailed and seeks to address concerns about the financial impact of the time children spend with each of their parents.

The key elements of the formula are:

  • the costs of raising children
  • the incomes of both parents (these are taken into account and considered equally), and
  • the amount of care each parent provides (the time a child spends with each parent).

An allowance is then made for the needs of each party for their own support.

The Child Support Agency then issues its administrative assessment setting out who pays how much to the other and a calculation is made showing the balance owing by one parent. This is the child support amount.

In many cases the Child Support Agency collects the money and distributes it, so that the former couple does not have to manage or control it themselves. However, it is possible to have a private payment arrangement where the money is transferred directly rather than through the Child Support Agency.

You can make a private Child Support Agreement in certain circumstances. This replaces the ‘administrative assessment’.

  • Background to the child support system

    The child support system was set up in 1989 and is covered by the Child Support Assessment Act and the Child Support Registration and Collection Act. The scheme is administered by the Child Support Agency (CSA).

    The Child Support Agency is responsible for “… supporting separated parents to transfer payments for the benefit of their children.”

    The child support system is designed to keep people out of the courts as much as possible. The agency is highly effective at assessing parents’ liability to pay child support and administering the system to ensure that the support is paid.

    The Child Support Agency has extremely authority to access records and tax returns, transfer funds, make assessments and make sure that the money that should be paid is paid. It also has authority to enforce collection, such as requiring an employer to deduct child support sums from the wages of a parent for payment to the other parent or intercepting tax refunds.

  • How child support assessment works

    When an application is accepted by the agency, it advises each party of the assessment, setting out the amount and the calculations.

    A child for whom support may be paid includes:

    • an adopted child
    • a child of a separated married couple, and
    • a child born to an unmarried couple who lived together between 20 and 44 weeks prior to the birth.

    Child support ends when a child turns 18. It may also end if the child becomes ‘a member of a couple’ or is adopted.

  • If you are unhappy with an assessment

    Under limited circumstances, you can take an objection regarding child support to the courts. First, you must lodge an objection with the Child Support Registrar for a change in the assessment. This objection must be lodged within 28 days of the assessment, although there is provision for objections out of time.

    If the Child Support Registrar rejects your objection, you may apply to the Social Security Appeals Tribunal (SSAT) for a review. If you remain dissatisfied with the outcome, you can make a further appeal to the Administrative Appeals Tribunal.

    However, this is not the appropriate route for objections on the basis of parentage. If your objection is based on your belief that the agency has not assessed the true parents of the child, an application should be lodged with the Court either for a determination on the basis of the Family Law Act presumptions of paternity (as set out earlier in this chapter under the heading ‘Some issues concerning child support’) or to order DNA testing.

  • Keeping the Child Support Agency informed

    The easiest way you can ensure your assessment is correct is to keep the Child Support Agency advised of any change in circumstances including:

    • care arrangements for the children
    • the number of dependent children for whom you might be responsible
    • any change in your income, or
    • the occurrence of any event that may terminate the current arrangements.

    For further information about child support, you can visit the CSA website at www.csa.gov.au.

Make an enquiry

If you have a question, want some more information or would just like to speak to someone, make an enquiry now and we’ll be in touch with you very soon.

Enquire now