You focus on what you do best, we'll focus on your legal needs
Slater and Gordon are highly experienced in providing legal advice to not-for-profit (NFP) organisations. We are trusted advisors for a number of large and small not-for-profit organisations.
We understand the distinctive characteristics of NFPs: we've worked in them and for them for decades. We understand how the distinctive cultural and political elements ingrained in NFPs influence your needs when legal advice is required. We are focused on providing timely, practical, and cost-effective advice to our clients. Our litigation expertise means we can assist your organisation to effectively manage disputes, both internal and external, and can tailor advice to minimise risks to your organisation. We pride ourselves on our responsiveness.
Trusted advisers in a range of non profit areas
We have had extensive experience advising NFP organisations in a broad range of areas, including:
- Charity organisations
- Trade unions
- Aboriginal corporations
- Community organisations
- Non-government organisations (NGOs)
- Cultural organisations
- Environmental groups
How we can assist you
Our experienced not-for-profit lawyers can help your organisation with advice in relation to:
- Setting up a not-for-profit organisation
- Governance, compliance and reporting requirements
- Drafting/amending rules and advice on application of rules
- Directors duties
- Internal and external disputes
- Meetings: including advice on the validity of decisions taken at meetings, meeting procedure, and the role of the chair
- Elections: including disputed election results
- Employment issues
- Regulatory advice, including assistance with preparation of submissions to regulators.
We generally work with not-for-profit organisations on a fee for service basis, meaning that fees and costs are paid for as they arise. We can also offer fixed-fee arrangements for larger pieces of work. We'll provide you with a costs agreement before asking you to sign anything which outlines our fees and the likely costs involved.
Before we start any work on your behalf, we'll explain to you in full detail:
- How we calculate our fees
- The likely costs involved to prepare and run your case
- Any additional costs that may be incurred.
We're here to help you. Make an enquiry now.
If you have a question, want some more information or would just like to speak to someone, make an enquiry now and one of our lawyers will be in touch with you as soon as possible.