What is Intellectual Property?
Intellectual property (IP) arises from the application of one’s mind to create something new or original, such as:
- an invention
- a design
- a literary or artistic work
- a symbol, name or image used in commerce (trade mark)
Intellectual property allows its creators or owners to benefit from their work or investment in such creations.
Slater and Gordon has acted in some of Australia’s largest intellectual property disputes.
How can Slater and Gordon help
Our lawyers can help you with a range of disputes or transactions, such as:
Infringement and validity disputes for trade marks, designs and patents
- taking action to prevent a party from infringing, or continuing to infringe, the IP of our client
- obtaining compensation from a party who has infringed the IP of our client
- obtaining a court declaration to confirm that another party’s IP is invalid
- defending our client against another party’s claims that:
- our client has infringed their IP
- our client’s IP is invalid
Enforcement of confidential information and trade secrets
- preventing a party from disclosing our client’s confidential information or trade secrets to another party
- obtaining compensation for our client where a party has disclosed our client’s confidential information or trade secrets to another party
Maintenance of copyright protection
- taking action to prevent a party from infringing, or continuing to infringe, the copyright of our client
- obtaining compensation from a party who has infringed the copyright of our client
Copyright, designs, patents and trade marks registrations and filings
- providing advice in relation to the validity of copyright, patents and trade marks
- providing assistance with the process of registration
Acting on and responding to passing off claims
- taking action to prevent a party from passing off, or continuing to pass off, as our client
- obtaining compensation from a party who has engaged in passing off to the detriment of our client
- defending our client against another party’s claims that our client has passed off to that party’s detriment
Advising on intellectual property transactions
- advising in relation to commercial arrangements for the purchase, sale, assignment or licensing of IP
- preparing contracts and other documentation to give effect to commercial arrangements involving IP
If you are the owner of intellectual property and your rights have been infringed, we have the expertise and experience to assist.
If it is alleged that you or your company has infringed another’s patent or copyright and you believe that you are in the right, contact us to discuss your options.