We’ve noticed that you’re using an unsupported browser,
which may result in pages displaying incorrectly.

For a better viewing experience, we recommend upgrading to the latest browser version of:

Skip to main content
You're viewing content for QLD. Change QLD
Call No Win. No Fee.* Call 1800 555 777
1800 555 777
You're viewing content for QLD. Change QLD

Let Us Call You


WorkCover Lawyers

Contact us

What is WorkCover?

WorkCover is a compulsory insurance that covers all Australian employees, providing protection against workplace-related injuries or illnesses regardless of who is at fault.

Every organisation* must provide this compulsory insurance to its full-time, part-time and casual workforce. WorkSafe insurance is often referred to as ‘workers compensation’ and its purpose it to ensure workers receive support via benefits and financial compensation as a result of a work-related injury or illness.

Benefits may cover:

  • Medical expenses
  • Loss of income (in the form of a weekly benefit)
  • Rehabilitation services
  • Lump sum compensation
  • Legal costs

Making a claim

If you’ve been injured at work or believe you have suffered an illness that is work related, you may be entitled to WorkSafe compensation. There are several steps involved in making a claim, starting with discussing your situation with a doctor, and reporting your injury to your employer.

There are timeframes surrounding WorkCover claims and it’s best to act as soon as you’re aware of your injury or illness. We suggest you get independent legal advice from an expert WorkCover lawyer as soon as possible - each case is different, and you shouldn’t feel anxious undertaking the claim process. 

Slater and Gordon's WorkCover lawyers are experts and can help in handling a wide range of claims.

Read the step-by-step process for making a WorkCover claim.

WorkCover in your state or territory

The administration of these schemes differs slightly in each state and territory, so it’s important for employers and employees to familiarise themselves with the workers compensation scheme in their location.

  • WorkCover ACT

    WorkSafe ACT is the government body responsible for the administration of workers compensation in the ACT. Information about claims, compensation, how to obtain insurance and general workplace health and safety is available on its website.

  • WorkCover NSW

    The NSW workers compensation scheme, and the regulation of workplace health and safety, is administered by WorkCover Authority of NSW (WorkCover).

  • WorkCover NT

    Businesses and workers can seek detailed information about staying safe at work, workers compensation, including how to make a claim, and rights and responsibilities by visiting the NT WorkSafe website.

  • WorkCover QLD

    WorkCover Queensland’s online service WorkCover Connect enables employers to manage their workers compensation insurance policies, track claims and analyse industry trends via a secure login.

    Workers can also access all the relevant information they need to start the process of making a claim, or understanding more about work-related injuries and illnesses by visiting the WorkCover Queensland website.

  • WorkCover SA

    ReturnToWorkSA is the government body that provides advice, support and insurance services to South Australian business and employees. All work injury and illness-related resources, together with workers compensation claim information can be found on the ReturnToWorkSA website.

  • WorkCover TAS

    Workers compensation in Tasmania is regulated and administered by WorkSafe Tasmania. The Workers Compensation Handbook and The Workers Rehabilitation and Compensation Guide are two key resources available on their website to help both employers and workers understand their obligations during the claim process.

  • WorkCover VIC

    WorkSafe Victoria is responsible for managing the state’s workers compensation scheme as well as enforcing occupational health and safety laws. Employers and workers can access information, tools and resources to guide them through the claims process resulting from a work-related injury or illness.

  • WorkCover WA

    WorkCover WA is the government’s administrative agency for the state's workers compensation scheme. Whether you need to obtain insurance as an employer, make a claim or get advice, Western Australian’s should seek information on the website.

*Organisations that pay more than $7500 a financial year in ratable remuneration, or have any apprentices or trainees, must take out WorkCover insurance. This applies to small companies with only one worker.