We’ve noticed that you’re using an unsupported browser,
which may result in pages displaying incorrectly.

For a better viewing experience, we recommend upgrading to the latest browser version of:

Skip to main content
You're viewing content for QLD. Change QLD
Call No Win. No Fee.* Call 1800 555 777
1800 555 777
You're viewing content for QLD. Change QLD

Transport Accident Commission (TAC)

Contact us

If you have a motor vehicle accident in Victoria, you’ll likely be covered by the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) compensation scheme in the event of injury or death.

What is the TAC?

The TAC is a state government organisation committed to promoting road safety, improving the state’s trauma system and supporting those who have been injured on the roads.

In addition to providing compensation for injured insured persons, the TAC works with government authorities and organisations to develop initiatives aimed to reduce road accidents.

The TAC is governed by the Transport Accident Act 1986 (VIC). This legislation sets out the type of benefits and services the TAC can pay, as well as any conditions that may apply.

How can I get the most out of my TAC claim?

  • We can help you maximise your claim and achieve a faster turnaround payment by advising and assisting you with the process from start to end.
  • Our specialised experts can work with you to evaluate your needs and entitlements to help you get the most out of your compensation.
  • We can ensure that documents are lodged on time and with accuracy, while providing thorough updates at every stage of your claims process.
  • ​We closely follow legislative updates and changes, so we are in the best position to help ensure your compensation payment is comprehensive and up to date.

Am I eligible?

If you register your vehicle in Victoria, you are required to pay a TAC charge in addition to your registration fee. This charge is used to provide personal injury cover to you and other persons involved in a car accident in Victoria, regardless of whether or not you caused the accident.

While ordinary users are required to pay a TAC charge, owners of vehicles used solely on private property (such as farms) are not mandated to participate in the scheme, although they can elect to.

What is covered by the TAC ?

The TAC provides compensation for medical treatment, rehabilitation services, disability services, income assistance, travel and household support services. This includes:

  • Ambulance, hospital and nursing
  • Treatment and support for severely injured or disabled persons
  • Therapy services
  • Medication and equipment

The TAC will provide cover even if the Victorian-registered vehicle was interstate at the time of the accident. 

What is not covered by the TAC?

As the TAC is a personal injury compensation scheme, it does not cover property damage resulting from a collision. In order to receive compensation for property, you would need to take out appropriate car insurance.

How do I make a TAC claim?

If you’ve been injured in a motor vehicle accident, you can make a claim for compensation.

See the steps to making a TAC claim.

Make an enquiry

If you have a question, want some more information or would just like to speak to someone, make an enquiry now and we’ll be in touch with you very soon.

Enquire now