Injured on duty? We’re at your service.
If you have been injured or fallen ill on duty, you and your dependents may be entitled to a range of benefits and entitlements.
We're Australia’s leading Military Compensation Law Firm
There are a number of military compensation schemes designed to help service personnel injured while serving. The schemes cover current and former members of the Australian Defence Force, cadets, cadet officers, cadet instructors, and members of the Australian Federal Police with approved overseas service.
Compensation can cover physical injuries and illnesses as well as psychiatric, emotional, behavioural and neurological problems.
If you think you have a claim, keep in mind that there are time limits and making a claim can be complicated. You should seek independent advice as soon as possible. We're here to help. Get in touch online, or call us.
The lawyers advising Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Commission will not provide you with independent legal advice, nor will it automatically pay your full compensation entitlement. They may also ask you to be to be medically assessed. If so, it’s a good idea to get a second opinion, as there may be significant difference in the opinions of your doctor and the one they appoint.
You should always obtain an independent medical opinion before accepting any decision or offer of compensation.
How we can help
We understand the wide range of different schemes that cover military compensation and rehabilitation. Which scheme you are covered by depends on the dates and places of your service. You, and your family, may be eligible for a number of different benefits. They include:
- Medical benefits
- Income support if you are unable to work
- Lump sums to cover permanent injuries
- Disability Pensions
- Allowance for home care
- Payments to cover alterations to your place of work
- Benefits to dependants of deceased workers
We help with all types of claims
Physical injuries are not the only reason to make a claim. In fact, we have achieved successful outcomes for clients with many of the following military-related conditions:
- Psychiatric problems including post-traumatic stress disorder
- Emotional and behavioural problems including depression, nightmares, loss of concentration, hallucinations, bursts of anger, compulsive drinking, and the inability to maintain normal relationships
- Heart and lung related disorders including heart attacks and asthma
- Neurological problems including stroke, loss of senses (including speech) and the inability to reason, communicate, comprehend and express yourself
- Vertigo – dizziness and loss of balance
- Gastrointestinal (digestive) disorders including reflux, constipation, loss of weight, vomiting, nausea, diarrhoea, hernia, liver and gall bladder malfunction
- Loss of all or part of hearing
- Loss of all or part of eyesight and or cataracts
- Sexual dysfunction including impotence and infertility.
We can help you lodge a claim
There are strict time frames for the provision of certain requested information or documentation and for challenging decisions. All correspondence should be acknowledged within 28 days. Your entitlements may be suspended and you may lose your rights to claim compensation if you fail to meet these deadlines.
Even if you’ve been knocked back, or think you’ve missed the deadline, it may not be too late to act. We advise that you contact us at Slater and Gordon so we can help you determine exactly where you stand.
How will I pay for legal fees?
Slater and Gordon's No Win - No Fee* scheme is generally available for military compensation claims. This means you do not pay for professional fees unless your case is successful. The scheme is designed to help those whose financial circumstances might otherwise deny them access to legal representation. You will receive a document setting out the details of the scheme after your first appointment. We are not retained as your lawyers until the document is signed and return to us.
Why choose Slater and Gordon?
Slater and Gordon’s military compensation lawyers are ready to take up the fight for you. We are Australia’s leading military compensation law firm, and we value the service and sacrifice of our veterans, defence personnel and their families.