Land Acquisitions, Resumption of Land and Compulsory Acquisition of Land by Government
Slater and Gordon provides expert legal assistance to individuals and businesses whose land is being compulsorily acquired (or is proposed to be acquired) by a government agency or department.
We "build the case" in support of our client’s compensation claim. The case is often constructed with the aid of a team of experienced and expert property valuers, town planners, forensic accountants, agronomists, and/or engineers.
All of our work on the preparation and negotiation of your claim is at no cost to you, as the Acquiring Authority is legally required to pay your reasonable costs and we'll only seek those costs from them – not you.
Our current land acquisition cases
Some of our clients have been affected by some of the largest acquisition projects in Australia. These projects have been categorised to their relevant state and can be accessed via the links below:
We know how to make the law work for you
Our team have extensive experience in all kinds of land acquisition projects. We've:
- acted for large groups of clients affected by a single acquisition project
- successfully co-ordinated the negotiation of favourable land use arrangements on behalf of client groups and maximised their combined compensation entitlements
- taken acquiring authorities to courts and tribunals to seek justice and fair compensation for our clients
- obtained compensation that was 5 times higher, in some instances, than the acquiring authority was originally prepared to offer
By working with us
Our land and compulsory acquisition lawyers can:
- Give you advice on the applicable statutory compensation regime
- Formulate negotiation strategies to be deployed prior to any formal acquisition
- Negotiate with the acquiring authority on the provision of appropriate arrangements for temporary access to land
- Retain expert property and business valuers and other professionals, where required
- Conduct negotiations with the acquiring authority
- Prepare compensation claims
- Advise on the strength and weaknesses of claims and the appropriateness of escalating disputes to a Tribunal or Court hearing
- Conduct court proceedings connected with compulsory acquisition disputes.