You web browser may not be properly supported. To use this site and all its features we recommend using the latest versions of Chrome, Safari or Firefox


Someone has just handed you a document and tells you that you have been served with a Complaint, Writ, or Statement of Claim (also known as the Originating Process). What does this all mean, and what if you do nothing?

Those legal documents are a means for commencing Court proceedings against a party (you, for instance). That document sets out the claim the issuing party (known as the plaintiff) has against another party (known as the defendant), as well as the facts and circumstances which give rise to that claim. Claims can be as simple as owing someone money, or as complex as copyright infringement.

We recommend that you seek legal advice after you’ve been served so that you understand what the claim is about, what the strengths and weaknesses of the claim are, and whether you have a counterclaim against the plaintiff. All of these factors will help you to decide what action you should take.

I want to dispute the claim

From the moment that you have been served with legal documents, the litigation process begins and there are a number of procedures that must take place within a certain timeframe.

  • You need to file a defence with the relevant Court (within 3-4 weeks, depending on the Court)
  • You also need to serve a copy of the defence on the plaintiff at the same time
  • You should engage a lawyer to prepare the defence

Preparing your own legal defence can be costly and time-consuming if the documents do not comply with court rules or contain necessary information.

What if I do nothing?

If you do nothing after being served, and the deadline for you to prepare a defence has expired, the plaintiff may apply to the court to obtain default judgment against you without any further notice to you.

What this means is that the Court may automatically grant the plaintiff the relief that it seeks from you without hearing your side of the story. For example, if the plaintiff claims that you owe it $1,000, and if you do not file a defence, the Court can make an order that you pay the plaintiff $1,000.

Once the plaintiff has an order against you, the plaintiff may take steps to enforce that order against you such as obtaining a warrant to seize and sell your assets to pay the debt.

Taking no action can result in costly and undesirable consequences.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related blog posts

Consumer and the Law
Liar loans: how mortgage brokers are putting clients at risk
Planning desk close up documentresize
Consumer and the Law
How to lodge a complaint with Australian Financial Complaints Authority
How to lodge a complaint with Australian Financial Complaints Authority
Business Law
Proposed Changes to the Franchising Code of Conduct
Waitress In Black Apron Upload

We're here to help. Make an enquiry now.

If you have a question, want some more information or would just like to speak to someone, make an enquiry now and we’ll be in touch with you as soon as possible.

Call us on 1800 444 141