If you’re involved in an accident, don’t panic, here are some tips to make the process a little less daunting and scary:
- If you can’t move the car, turn on the hazard lights.
- For insurance purposes, please take photos before you move any vehicle.
- Always check to see if the other party involved is okay. If they are injured, call 000.
- If there is property damage or the other party doesn’t want to give their details, don’t be afraid to call the police. They will help.
- If it’s a minor incident like you scratch someone else’s car, leave a note with your info.
ACT - CTP (Compulsory Third Party)
NSW - SIRA (State Insurance Regulatory Authority)
QLD - MAIC (Motor Accident Insurance Commission)
SA - MAC (Motor Accident Commission)
TAS - MAIB (Motor Accident Insurance Board)
VIC - TAC (Transport Accident Commission)
WA - ICWA (Insurance Commission of Western Australia)
6. Get independent legal advice – It is critical that you obtain expert advice from your own independent lawyer to ensure that you are aware of your rights, entitlements and the time limits that apply to claiming compensation.
It’s important to remember that CTP insurers and statutory bodies will have their own lawyers advising them on your claim, however, they are not required to provide you with legal advice and they may not automatically pay you what you are fully entitled to.
Remember, accidents happen, so keep a cool head and do your best to do the right thing. In circumstances where you have suffered physical or psychological injuries as a result of the accident, it’s best to engage an experienced transport accident lawyer as early as possible.
We're here to help. If you would like to enquire about a motor vehicle accident claim, contact us online or call us on 1800 555 777 to find out where you stand.
Find out where you stand for free in 2 – 3 minutes
If you or a family member have been injured in any kind of road accident, you might be entitled to a range of compensation benefits. Answer a few simple questions to find out where you stand and, if eligible, book a free appointment with one of our caring and experienced lawyers.