You web browser may not be properly supported. To use this site and all its features we recommend using the latest versions of Chrome, Safari or Firefox

Slater and Gordon are continuing to service the community during the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. Click here for more info

Mva What To Do Accidents Young

If you’re involved in an accident, don’t panic, here are some tips to make the process a little less daunting and scary:

1. Stop – if you’re involved in an accident, stop immediately.

2. Safety first – make sure that you’re okay, and any passengers are okay. If they require assistance, call 000. If you are okay, make sure it is safe to exit the vehicle, or move the vehicle if possible out of the way of traffic.
  • If you can’t move the car, turn on the hazard lights.
  • For insurance purposes, please take photos before you move any vehicle.
  • Always check to see if the other party involved is okay. If they are injured, call 000.
3. Exchange info – exchange information with the other party involved, including name, address, phone number, driver’s licence number, licence plate, and insurance details.
  • If there is property damage or the other party doesn’t want to give their details, don’t be afraid to call the police. They will help.
  • If it’s a minor incident like you scratch someone else’s car, leave a note with your info.
4. Call your insurer – call them to provide details such as your name, address, licence plates, licence number, details of your car, details of the other car, the other driver’s details and insurance, as well as a summary of the accident.

5. Contact the CTP insurer or statutory body in your State – if you are physically or psychologically injured from the accident, you may be entitled to a range of benefits and compensation. Exactly what you may be entitled to and the process for claiming this compensation will vary by State.

See the table below for contact info specific to you. Strict time limits can apply so you should always endeavour to lodge your claim as quickly as possible.

6. Get independent legal advice – It is critical that you obtain expert advice from your own independent lawyer to ensure that you are aware of your rights, entitlements and the time limits that apply to claiming compensation.

It’s important to remember that CTP insurers and statutory bodies will have their own lawyers advising them on your claim, however, they are not required to provide you with legal advice and they may not automatically pay you what you are fully entitled to.

Remember, accidents happen, so keep a cool head and do your best to do the right thing. In circumstances where you have suffered physical or psychological injuries as a result of the accident, it’s best to engage an experienced transport accident lawyer as early as possible.

We're here to help. If you would like to enquire about a motor vehicle accident claim, contact us online or call us on 1800 555 777 to find out where you stand.

Find out where you stand for free in 2 – 3 minutes

If you or a family member have been injured in any kind of road accident, you might be entitled to a range of compensation benefits. Answer a few simple questions to find out where you stand and, if eligible, book a free appointment with one of our caring and experienced lawyers.

The contents of this blog post are considered accurate as at the date of publication. However the applicable laws may be subject to change, thereby affecting the accuracy of the article. The information contained in this blog post is of a general nature only and is not specific to anyone’s personal circumstances. Please seek legal advice before acting on any of the information contained in this post.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related blog posts

Compensation Law
30 years of the NSW Dust Diseases Tribunal

On 1 November 1989 Judge John O’Meally sat for the first time in the New South Wales Dust Diseases Tribunal (the “Tribunal”) when it heard its first case. This month, during Asbestos Awareness Month the Tribunal celebrated 30 years of operation. The Tribunal was created by the NSW Parliament after years of long delays in the Supreme Court and District Court which often saw plaintiffs suffering from dust diseases die before their cases could be heard. During the Second Reading Speech on 3 May 1989, Mr Dowd, the then NSW Attorney General said: Honourable members will be aware of the considerable delays that exist in the common law jurisdictions of both the Supreme Court and the...

Asbestos danger sign
Compensation Law
Is it legal to flash your headlights?

You know the old Aussie tradition: see a cop car or unmarked speed camera and flash your headlights to warn other drivers. But is it legal? And when can you use your headlights legally? We give you the basics. The legal purpose of headlights According to Section 215 of the Australian Road Rules (2006), low-beam headlights must be used for driving at night or in hazardous conditions that cause reduced visibility – playing a clear role in avoiding and preventing accidents. In fact, since the introduction of daytime running lamps (DRL) on vehicles in Australia, there has been a reduction of multiple vehicle injury accidents by up to 20 per cent and a reduction of fatal pedestrian accidents...

Car Headlights 628X290
Compensation Law
Abuse law and understanding the National Redress Scheme

The high-profile trial of Cardinal George Pell and his application for leave to appeal against the convictions being accepted by the High Court, as well as the Royal Commission in recent years, have shined a light on sex abuse in Australia. Bravehearts Foundation provides advice and support to those affected by child sexual assault. They provide child protection training and education programs, specialist child sexual assault counselling and support services. We have formed an alliance with Bravehearts Foundation who work very hard to prevent child sexual assault in our society. We have also linked up with Knowmore, who provide legal advice to abuse survivors by arming them with information...

We're here to help

Start your online claim check now. Or, if you have a question, get in touch with our team.