We’ve noticed that you’re using an unsupported browser,
which may result in pages displaying incorrectly.

For a better viewing experience, we recommend upgrading to the latest browser version of:

Skip to main content
You're viewing content for QLD. Change QLD
Call No Win. No Fee.* Call 1800 555 777
1800 555 777
You're viewing content for QLD. Change QLD

Let Us Call You


What to do if involved in a car accident?

by Slater and Gordon on
What to do if involved in a car accident?

If you’re involved in an accident, don’t panic, here are some tips to make the process a little less daunting and scary:

1. Stop – if you’re involved in an accident, stop immediately.
2. Safety first – make sure that you’re okay, and any passengers are okay. If they require assistance call 000. If you are okay, make sure it is safe to exit the vehicle, or to move the vehicle (if possible) out of the way of traffic. 
  • If you can’t move the car, turn on the hazard lights.
  • For insurance purposes, please take photos before you move any vehicle.
  • Always check to see if the other party involved is okay. If they are injured, call 000.
3. Exchange info – exchange information with the other party involved including name, address, phone number, driver’s licence number, licence plate, and insurance details. 
  • If there is property damage or the other party doesn’t want to give their details. Don’t be afraid to call the police. They will help.
  • If it’s a minor incident like you scratch someone else’s car, leave a note with your info.
4. Call your insurer – you should call them to provide details such as your name, address, licence plates, licence number, details of your car, details of the other car, the other driver’s details and insurance, as well as a summary of the accident.
5. Contact the CTP insurer or statutory body in your State– if you are physically or psychologically injured from the accident you may be entitled to a range of benefits and compensation. Exactly what you may be entitled to and the process for claiming this compensation varies by State, see table below for contact info specific to you. Strict time limits can apply so you should lodge your claim as quickly as possible.

ACT CTP (Compulsory Third Party) apps.treasury.act.gov.au
NSW SIRA (State Insurance Regulatory Authority)


QLD MAIC(Motor Accident Insurance Commission) maic.qld.gov.au
SA MAC (Motor Accident Commission) www.mac.sa.gov.au
TAS MAIB (Motor Accident Insurance Board) www.maib.tas.gov.au
VIC TAC (Transport Accident Commission) www.tac.vic.gov.au
WA ICWA (Insurance Commission of Western Australia) www.icwa.wa.gov.au
6. Get independent legal advice – It is critical that you obtain expert advice from your own independent lawyer to ensure that you are aware of your rights, entitlements and the time limits that apply to claiming compensation.
It’s important to remember that CTP insurers and statutory bodies will have their own lawyers advising them on your claim, however, they are not required to provide you with legal advice and they may not automatically pay you what you are fully entitled to. 

Remember, accidents happen, so keep a cool head and do your best to do the right thing. In circumstances where you have suffered physical or psychological injuries as a result of the accident, it’s best to engage an experienced transport accident lawyer as early as possible.

We're here to help. If you would like to enquire about a motor vehicle accident claim, simply get in touch online or call us on 1800 555 777 to find out where you stand.