We’ve noticed that you’re using an unsupported browser,
which may result in pages displaying incorrectly.

For a better viewing experience, we recommend upgrading to the latest browser version of:

Skip to main content
You're viewing content for QLD. Change QLD
Call No Win. No Fee.* Call 1800 555 777
1800 555 777
You're viewing content for QLD. Change QLD

Let Us Call You


Supplying a drug is more serious than you think

in Criminal Law by Slater and Gordon on
Supplying a drug is more serious than you think

The NRL drug scandal is a timely warning to people that there are a number of ways you can be charged with supplying an illicit drug in Queensland.

Here some important things to know about the legalities of supplying drugs.

In Queensland:

  • You don’t need to be making any money to be charged with supplying a drug.
  • Procuring any illicit drug and supplying it to your mates, is enough for you to be charged with supply if you are caught.
  • Administering a drug to a friend or transporting someone who intends to distribute drugs are also offences under the Queensland Criminal Code.
  • The law states that it is illegal to give, distribute, sell, administer, transport or supply a drug as well as offering to do any preparatory act to do so.
  • You can also be charged for offering a friend drugs – even if they refuse.  The person does not need to accept for you to be found guilty.

Many undercover police work in areas known for drug use and supply, such as festivals, raves and nightclubs.  If an undercover police officer approaches you and asks you for drugs and you agree, you can be charged by the police with supplying a dangerous drug even if you do not hand the drugs over to the police.

The maximum penalty for supplying a schedule one drug (e.g. methamphetamine, ecstasy or cocaine) can be 25 years jail.

People may also not realise that drug offences remain on your criminal record for a very long time and can hinder career prospects, particularly in industries such as law enforcement, defence and government.

If you have been charge with a drug offence, speak to a criminal lawyer to know your rights. For more information, visit our Criminal Law services.

Have your say