Exams are finally done, summer is heating up and it’s time to hit the road and celebrate your new-found freedom.
Whether you’re heading off to Schoolies, enjoying the long uni holidays or just chilling at the beach, this summer is sure to be full of good times and plenty of road trips with mates.
Safety tips for young drivers
Whatever your destination, make sure you arrive there safely by following these simple tips:
- Check that the car you’re travelling in is in good condition and has adequate safety measures in the unfortunate event you are involved in an accident;
- Familiarise yourself with the local road rules, especially if you’re travelling interstate as these may differ;
- Observe all rules and regulations, including those attached to your probationary licence such as zero blood alcohol levels and passenger restrictions;
- If alcohol is going to be involved, make sure you clearly designate a driver at the start of the evening or take alternative transport;
- If you feel uncomfortable at any stage, speak up;
- Stay alert on long drives and unfamiliar roads; and
- Make sure you take adequate breaks, especially if you’re driving long distances or overnight or are not properly rested.
Australian road statistics
Sadly Australian road statistics tell us that young drivers are much more likely to be involved in car accidents than older, more experienced drivers , with young males being particularly at risk.
In fact, the Transport Accident Commission in Victoria estimates that young drivers in their first year of driving are almost four times more likely to be involved in a fatal or serious injury crash than more experienced drivers.
Research commissioned by Slater and Gordon in 2017 showed that those aged 16-24 thought drink driving was the factor most likely to cause road accidents, which is in line with respondents from other age groups, but the 16-24 age group rated significantly lower than other respondents in recognising the impact of age and inexperience as risk factors on the road.
Following the simple tips above will help make sure you have a summer to remember for all the right reasons.
We're here to help. If you would like to enquire about a motor vehicle accident claim, simply get in touch online or call us on 1800 555 777 to find out where you stand.
Find out where you stand for free in 2 – 3 minutes
If you or a family member have been injured in any kind of road accident, you might be entitled to a range of compensation benefits. Answer a few simple questions to find out where you stand and, if eligible, book a free appointment with one of our caring and experienced lawyers.