You web browser may not be properly supported. To use this site and all its features we recommend using the latest versions of Chrome, Safari or Firefox

How to lodge a complaint with Australian Financial Complaints Authority

The Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA) acts as the middleperson between financial firms and consumers or small businesses, offering free and independent dispute resolution services.

It deals with complaints about financial advice, insurance, banking and superannuation products and services. While the time limit to lodge a complaint to AFCA is usually between two and six years, the Australian Government recently created the opportunity for those with complaints up to 10 years old to come forward. This means consumers and small businesses have until 30 June 2020 to lodge complaints dating back to 1 January 2008. To lodge a complaint, you must follow AFCA’s process.

Contact your financial firm

It is important to contact your financial firm directly before contacting AFCA. Your financial firm must reply within a specific timeframe:

  • 90 days for superannuation or traditional trustee complaints;
  • 21 days for complaints involving financial difficulty; or
  • 45 days for all other complaints.

If your financial firm does not reply within the timeframe, or you are unhappy with the reply, you can contact AFCA.

Lodge a complaint with AFCA

You can lodge a complaint with AFCA using their online form or by email, telephone or fax. It is important to identify the problem clearly, tell AFCA if you want somebody to complain on your behalf, and think about what loss you have suffered. You should also collect all relevant documents to support your claim and lodge a Statement of Financial Position if you are experiencing financial difficulty.

AFCA will usually refer your complaint back to the financial firm, at first instance. The financial firm will be given 21 days to work directly with you to reach a resolution.

If a resolution is not met, AFCA may facilitate negotiations between you and your financial firm by exchanging settlement offers and discussing them with both sides, or AFCA may hold a telephone conciliation conference.

If negotiations or conciliation fails, AFCA will generally make a preliminary assessment and give you and your financial firm a chance to accept or reject the assessment.

If the assessment is rejected by either side, AFCA will make an enforceable decision about your complaint after considering the relevant laws, codes of practice and information provided by you and your financial firm. Low value, single issue complaints are fast-tracked and an AFCA adjudicator makes a decision within two weeks. Standard and complex complaints are decided by the ombudsman or a panel within four to eight weeks. Complaints involving financial difficulty are decided in 4 weeks.

How we can help

Slater and Gordon can help you by:

Learn more about our professional negligence services, or if you have an enquiry about a financial complaint, you can submit an enquiry online.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related blog posts

Consumer and the Law
When is it OK to sign with an electronic signature?

With advances in information technology, it’s becoming more common for people to sign documents such as contracts, agreements and declarations electronically. Using electronic signatures means that a physical document doesn’t need to be passed around to everyone who is required to sign, saving people time and money. However, it’s important to be aware of the laws surrounding electronic signatures. Not all documents can be signed electronically, and therefore it’s important to understand the rules around using electronic signatures. An electronic signature will generally be valid if it meets three criteria. Firstly, a signing method must be used to identify the person signing and...

Computer And Phone Resized For Blog
Consumer and the Law
Liar loans: how mortgage brokers are putting clients at risk

The term ‘liar loans’ has been coined on the back of the Banking Royal Commission. This is because studies have shown almost 40 per cent of loan applications completed through mortgage brokers contained at least one factually incorrect statement. Whether mortgage brokers are providing lenders with incorrect information, or information that is out-of-date, they are putting themselves – and their clients – at risk. A recent study conducted by the Consumer Credit Legal Centre in New South Wales identified some mortgage brokers were breaking the law when filling out loan applications for their clients. Common examples included brokers suggesting their clients provide a different answer...

Planning desk close up documentresize
Consumer and the Law
Is your bank seeking to repossess your home? Here’s what you need to know.

If you fall behind on your mortgage repayments or default on your home loan, your bank may ultimately take possession your home and sell it to pay out your loan. This can be a stressful time for individuals and families, and it is important to understand the process and what rights you have as a borrower. Your bank must not take action against you unless you have been provided with a default notice that contains certain information. A default notice should, among other things: If you pay the overdue amount within the set time, your loan will continue as normal. If you do not pay the overdue amount within the set time, the bank will usually apply for a court order to take possession of your...

Suburban House Aerial View Resize

We're here to help. Make an enquiry now.

If you have a question, want some more information or would just like to speak to someone, make an enquiry now and our Commercial Litigation team will be in touch with you as soon as possible.