You web browser may not be properly supported. To use this site and all its features we recommend using the latest versions of Chrome, Safari or Firefox

Blog Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Is A Real Danger

Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless, tasteless and highly poisonous gas produced by the incomplete combustion of gaseous fuels where gas appliances are not installed or maintained properly.

Faulty or poorly maintained gas appliances present a very high risk of causing carbon monoxide poisoning, which at dangerous levels can cause chronic illness, and at deadly levels, death.

The human body doesn’t recognise when carbon monoxide is present and that is why carbon monoxide is often referred to as the silent killer. Many lives have been lost in circumstances that were preventable due to carbon monoxide poisoning.

Recently Victoria’s energy safe regulator issued a warning for two gas heater models that produce high levels of the potentially deadly gas carbon monoxide.

A warning prompted after a decision was made to conduct a coronial inquest into the death of a Melbourne woman, Sonia Sofianopolous from carbon monoxide poisoning last winter.

Sonia was found dead in her Greensborough public housing unit last July after inhaling carbon monoxide from her gas heater. Slater and Gordon is presently representing her family.

With the colder months fast approaching, faulty or poorly maintained gas appliances pose a very high risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Every homeowner; real estate agent; government body and, every tenant – via their landlord – should take active steps in protecting themselves, persons they have a legal responsibility and duty to protect and of course their loved ones.

Three simple ways to do this are:

  • Have all gas appliances fitted by a licenced gasfitter.
  • Servicing all gas appliances regularly, as per the manufacturers recommendation or at least every two years as recommended by Energy Safe Victoria.
  • Having a high standard audible carbon monoxide alarm fitted outside sleeping areas and living areas

Hence, before the winter heating season begins have your gas heater serviced and continue servicing it at least once every two years. A qualified registered gasfitter can install and properly look after the servicing of a gas heater.

These preventative measures are inexpensive and more importantly can save lives. So as the weather cools in Melbourne, make sure your home isn’t harbouring a silent killer.

Thank you for your feedback.

Related blog posts

Featured
Understanding medical confidentiality and privacy laws for health professionals

As a health professional—whether you’re a doctor, nurse, technician or assistant, to name just a few—you have a rewarding yet challenging task. You’re faced with an endless diversity of patients, medical conditions and circumstances. You use your technical training and your professional judgement to meet the standards expected of you. And in one way or another, you’ll find yourself navigating legal frameworks affecting you as a health professional. Privacy and confidentiality are two key areas of the law that impact what you can and can’t do with the information entrusted to you by your patients. As a medical negligence lawyer, I’ve seen firsthand how many healthcare...

Medical Record Papers Cropped
Featured
James Hardie and the fight for future asbestos victims

L-R in the above image: Greg Combet (former ACTU Secretary), Bernie Banton, Ken Fowlie For many decades, the deadly legacy of asbestos dust has been claiming innocent victims in Australia. From the early days of asbestos mining at Wittenoom to the more recent saga of building-product manufacturer James Hardie, the legal ramifications continue, as does the suffering. Since the 1980s, Slater and Gordon has played a lead role in the battle for compensation on behalf of many of the nation’s asbestos victims. Having won landmark cases on behalf of Wittenoom workers, Slater and Gordon again took up the asbestos compensation fight in the early 2000s. In 2001, finally acknowledging its role in...

James Hardie Blog
Featured
Christian Brothers - a betrayal of trust

In 1987, a horror story of institutionalised child abuse was revealed to the Australian public. Former residents of Christian Brothers boys’ homes had bravely broken their silence, recounting to the media all manner of hellish abuse in the West Australian Catholic institutions. By 1993 Bruce Blythe, a former school principal, publisher and advocate for survivors of abuse at the hands of Christian Brothers, had heard enough. He contacted Slater and Gordon. Bruce knew of Slater and Gordon’s success in the Wittenoom asbestos cases. Would they dare take on the mighty Catholic Church? Hell, yes. Slater and Gordon immediately sent a team to Perth to take statements from potential plaintiffs...

Church Pews Cropped

We're here to help

Start your online claim check now. Or, if you have a question, get in touch with our team.