Ersel has been working in the legal profession since the year 2000 and has been with Slater & Gordon Lawyers since 2008. Since joining the profession he has worked in various areas of legal practice and has worked almost exclusively as a litigator.
Ersel heads the Criminal Law & Regulation practice in NSW and ACT which provides a criminal defence service for those who find themselves on the wrong side of the law.
He has extensive experience conducting cases in both the Local and District Courts, as well as investigative commissions where individuals are being investigated or prosecuted by different government departments, including State and Federal Police, State and Commonwealth Director of Public Prosecutions, Australian Taxation Office, WorkCover Authority and the Independent Transport Safety Regulator.
Ersel has also managed numerous cases involving the Independent Commission Against Corruption including Operation Acacia in 2013, which investigated the invitation and allocation of a coalmining exploration license and Operation Coronith in 2010, which investigated the misuse of parliamentary entitlements by Members of Parliament.
Ersel has played an instrumental role in several matters which have resulted in coronial inquests.
Ersel has particular expertise in the following areas:
- Summary and indictable offences
- Defence hearings and trials
- Plea negotiations and sentencing hearings
- Bail applications
- Appeals, including conviction and severity appeals
- Coronial inquests
- Special investigations, commissions and inquiries
- Professional standards and conduct inquiries.
- Criminal Law
- Traffic Law
- Coronial Law
- Local Court
- Children’s Court
- Coroner’s Court
- District Court
- Independent Commission Against Corruption
- Since 2013 Slater & Gordon (associate)
- 2010-2013 Slater & Gordon (lawyer)
- 2008-2010 Slater & Gordon (law clerk)
- 2008-2008 Blessington Judd Lawyers (law clerk)
- 2004-2007 Milton’s Lawyers (law clerk)
- 2000-2004 Baker & McKenzie Solicitors (law clerk)
Professional qualifications & admissions
- 2010 Admitted Supreme Court of New South Wales
- 2010 Admitted High Court of Australia
- 2010 Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice, College of Law, NSW
- 2010 Bachelor of Laws, University of New England
- 1999 Bachelor of Business, University of Western Sydney
Memberships & associations
- Law Society of New South Wales
- University of New England Alumni
Ersel’s parents arrived in Australia from Turkey in the early 1970s. Ersel speaks, reads and writes fluently in Turkish and has strong ties to the Turkish-Australian community.
He regularly attends events held by the Turkish Consulate-General’s office and other organisations and associations within Turkish-Australian community.