Ben Phi practices in large-scale commercial litigation, specialising in shareholder class actions and litigation relating to financial products and advice.
Ben represents retail and institutional investors in current and proposed class actions against the following publicly-listed companies:
- Centro Properties Group and Centro Retail Trust
- ION Limited (Subject to Deed of Company Arrangement)
- GPT Group
- Sigma Pharmaceuticals Limited
- Nufarm Limited
- Elders Limited
He also acts on behalf of “mum and dad” investors who suffered losses from the collapse of the Fincorp Group in a class action against Sandhurst Trustees Limited.
Ben also regularly acts on behalf of:
- investors who have suffered loss as a result of negligent or unsuitable financial advice, and has acted in proceedings against financial planners following the collapse of Westpoint and Basis Capital; and
- former asylum seekers in claims against the Commonwealth of Australia, who seek compensation for physical and psychiatric injuries arising from their treatment in immigration detention.
Ben has previously represented shareholders in respect of claims against Downer EDI, and acted for the ACCC in its successful cartel prosecution of the Visy group of companies.
Ben is a member of Slater & Gordon’s Pro Bono and Public Interest Committee.
Ben joined Slater & Gordon after graduating from the Australian National University with Honours in Law.
Telephone: 03 9602 6888
Fax: 03 9600 0290