We lead the way in asbestos litigation
Slater & Gordon has acted for more than 2,500 mesothelioma sufferers during the past 25 years and many others suffering from asbestos related lung cancer and asbestosis.
We have a proud history of fighting for asbestos victims and winning. Our lawyers have many years of experience in this area, providing you with personalised service for the best result.
We are proud of the consistently high level of appreciation our clients express for the asbestos work we do. And we are proud that we have been able to use the research and learning of over 3000 cases over the past 25 years to create a unique resource database. This database gives Slater & Gordon a unique ability to help many asbestos claimants find out where their asbestos exposure may have happened.
We are also proud that, through all of this period, we have put our money where our mouth is. We have devoted over almost one million dollars to asbestos disease research, at least as much in pro bono representation of unions and asbestos support groups in the James Hardie case and much, much more to support asbestos support groups over 30 years.
We are proud and privileged to offer our services to you and your family.
We can determine whether you have a claim
Exposure to asbestos alone is not enough to provide a basis for a successful claim. Before you can claim compensation you must be diagnosed with an asbestos related disease.
It is possible you can make a claim even if:
- Your exposure to asbestos occurred many decades ago
- You have left the employment where you were exposed
- You were exposed in a number of different workplaces
- Your employer went out of business years ago
- You were self-employed
- Your exposure did not occur at work
- You are not sure where or how your exposure occurred
- You are or have been a heavy smoker
- You are living in a different state from the state in which you were exposed
The vast majority of people diagnosed with an asbestos related disease in Australia have valuable rights to compensation.
Know your entitlements
If you have been diagnosed with an asbestos related disease, it is very likely that you are entitled to compensation.
Compensation may include amounts for:
- Pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life
- Past and future medical expenses
- Past and future loss of income
- the commercial cost of assistance around the home, in the garden and nursing care (even if that assistance is being provided voluntarily by relatives and friends)
- Out of pocket expenses, such as travel to medical appointments
- If your partner or a family member dies as a result of an asbestos related condition, a claim for compensation may still be available to the estate and/or the dependants of the deceased. The claim may be limited to the financial consequences of the death.
Time limits apply to bringing a claim. It is important you get advice from an expert asbestos lawyer regarding your potential entitlement to compensation.
What we need you to do
If you have been diagnosed with an asbestos related disease or believe you may suffer from an asbestos related disease, contact Slater & Gordon for advice specific to your circumstances.
No matter where you are in Australia, we can help. Where necessary, we can visit you in your home.
Asbestos related cancers can be very aggressive. Asbestosis can be very debilitating. It is important you contact us for advice promptly. This is because once court proceedings have been commenced your rights to compensation for pain and suffering are protected for the benefit of your Estate even if you die of your condition. During your claim it is important that you, or a loved one, notifies us if there is any sudden deterioration in your health because we will make every effort to have your case resolved in your lifetime.
The majority of court actions concerning asbestos related illnesses settle before trial. If it is necessary to go to court, our lawyers have the skills and experience in litigation to guide you through the complexities of court proceedings.
Contact Dominic Smith from the Asbestos Litigation team at Slater & Gordon via the form below or on 1800 555 615. He will help with your enquiry and this may involve arranging a confidential meeting with a Slater & Gordon lawyer to discuss your matter in greater detail.